Monday, July 16, 2012

Magical Sunday

I'm a transplant Tigers fan living between the Nationals and the Orioles. Whenever Detroit comes to Camden Yards, I go to all the games. On Saturday, my date for Sunday canceled on me. Finding a last minute replacement wouldn't be easy. Sadly, most of my friends aren't baseball fans, and the ones who are have families and busy lives.

I had a 4th grade student last year who is a huge baseball fan. His favorite team is the Mets, but he's pretty knowledgeable with the MLB in general. I also lived with his family for a couple years, so his family is like my 2nd family. I decided to see if he wanted to go see Verlander pitch on Sunday.

When I lived with them, I'd given JC my old Tigers hat and jersey. He wore them to the game.
We arrived at the park at about 11:30. I figured we could watch BP, which I later found out wouldn't take place. Since the gates weren't open yet, I walked him to the home plate entrance to show where the Detroit Tigers sometimes enter and exit.

It was just as we arrived at the door that a cab pulled up, and Miguel Cabrera got out. I very excitedly sent JC to get an autograph on his cap.




The Tigers won 4-0. Jackson hit a home run, and Cabrera hit one too... 440 feet. Verlander pitched 8 shutout innings. JC said, "I'm so happy to be here. I thought today was just going to be a regular Sunday." I'm so glad my date ditched me.

In retrospect, I'm kicking myself that I didn't get a picture with Miguel Cabrera. That was probably my once in a lifetime chance. I don't care about autographs, but I'm bummed that I didn't get a picture. Maybe someday.*

*I did, however, get a picture with Quintin Berry inside the stadium, so there's that. :)

No comments: