Saturday, June 9, 2012

Mindset

I worked really hard this year to have perfect attendance. At my work, we receive a $100 bonus at the end of the school year if you don't miss a day. An extra $100 is GREAT to start my summer because I do a lot of traveling to see family. I mean, who doesn't want $100!

Around the last month of school, I started having some pain, and I finally made a doctor's appointment, but for after the last day of school so I could get the bonus. The last 3 days of work, I was in such pain, that I was laid out in the teacher's lounge writing my year-end summaries. My boss said I could go home. She even said the check was already cut, so it didn't matter. But I stayed. I managed. That wasn't me being a stand-up worker, by the way; that was me not wanting to have to come back after the school year ended.

Anyway, my doctor ended up being sick, causing me to go to urgent care instead; then I had to get the prescription. No one has it ... not Target, not Walgreens, not CVS, not Rite Aid. The pharmacist at Target ends up calling the doctor to see if there is something else I can take. The newly chosen drug is given to me.

In the end, the urgent care co-pay was $40. The prescription cost $60. For about 15 seconds, I was annoyed. I spent all year working for that extra $100, and BOOM... there it went, all in a day.

But then, something else struck me as I sat waiting by the Target pharmacy. I began to be thankful. I was thankful that I was able to get to a doctor. I could go to a pharmacist. I could get medical help. And, I actually had the money to pay for what I needed. The thoughts were all a gift from God because I'm not someone who's overly thankful. My mom always said when I get to heaven I'll complain because there's nothing to complain about. But that day, in Target, God showed me that I truly have been given so much. It's all perspective. It's all mindset.

2 comments:

Jacknackers said...

Echoing what Francis Chan has said; it's absolutely all about perspective - and as you've said yourself.

The master of deception wants us to believe we deserve this or that, or that we'll be better off with 'this or that' - but the reality is that our circumstances do not control our attitude - Jesus said not to worry about the future (Matthew 6:25-27)

I praise God for your response to this difficult turn of events - We are tested daily (The bible says that Satan is actually in heaven sometimes, accusing believers before God (Revelation 12:8-10 - and Job 1:6-8) But God never gives us more than we can handle (1 Corinthians 10:13).

In other words: we are in an every day battle - the victory is ours, Satan knows he's been defeated but he wants to drag everyone down with him.

Jacknackers said...

I don't think so. I do live in Maryland (Frederick area) but I found your blog because I was searching for information on the Drive Through Difference and you made a post in 2010 - I actually did it this morning and it was really awesome.