Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Things My Students Say

Usually, I have some really funny things to report. Today, though, my students indirectly reminded me that I too often underestimate their thought process. I posed a question on Monday. I didn't give any examples or connections. I just asked them to write.

The question: How can words change people's lives?

Several students read their paragraphs today. Three in particular stood out to me. I was so impressed with how their minds work, and what thoughts they were able to put on paper. I'd like to summarize their points:

Student 1:
Words don't change people's lives. When people say things to you, it's up to you to do the changing. It's not what they say; it's how you respond.

Student 2:
When the writers of the Declaration of Independence wrote that we were free from the rule of Britain, that changed the lives of many people.

Student 3:
Martin Luther King Jr. had words that changed people's lives when he said that he dreamed that one day people would be treated equally.
People who tell other people about the love of Jesus use words that can change people's lives.

Not bad for a class of 10 year olds. This is why I teach.

No comments: