Thursday, June 10, 2010

Closer to God

There's something about flying that makes me feel closer to God. Hmmm, maybe it's because I'm in the heavens. No, that's not it. Then what is it?

First, I'm almost always by myself. Being alone in a place where people are departing from loved ones or reuniting with friends puts me in this little bubble of isolation in the midst of tears and laughter. My mind wanders and longs to be waited for. That leads me to the feet of God, where He's always waiting for me ... or walking toward me, rather. To know His love is beyond words. And for whatever reason, I feel God's love in airports.

The view of earth from thousands of feet up in the air also points my thoughts toward God. He is so big and earth is so small. His creation is so amazing; it's tiny and insignificant in the realm of the universe, but He's given each of us such great significance. It's mind-boggling. Every time I look out the window of an airplane, I think of God, of creation, of myself, of how all this fits together. I don't pretend to understand it. Sometimes it makes me smile. There are times these thoughts make me cry.

These aren't deep thoughts. They are just my thoughts. The thoughts I have when flying.

No comments: