Sunday, October 26, 2008

Suffer the Little Children to Come Unto Me

I love the innocence and honesty of children. I think I enjoy being around kids because they don't know any better than to be who they are. What you see is what you get, and even if what you get seems unlovable, you love them anyway because it's who they are. I think we can see a glimpse of the innocence of creation in kids, and it draws me to them.

I tend to seek affirmation, and working with children, I get it a lot! Perhaps it's silly to seek positive feedback from kids, but I know they're not going to patronize me. If they act like they like me, it's because they really do. I don't have to figure out their motives.

One of the parents told me her daughter got new jeans and was so excited because "they're just like Miss Sizzle's jeans!" I thought that was so cute. And so scary! These kids are watching what I do. Their admiration is often turned into imitation. What a responsibility I have. What a great reminder that each word I speak and move I make needs to be a reflection of my Savior, so that if these children are imitating me, they are really imitating Jesus Christ.

No comments: